Gimbrere Legal - Logo - Business Card

(Child) support behind bars

(Child) support behind bars

Life behind bars involves not only physical limitations, but also complex legal issues, especially when it comes to financial obligations such as spousal or child support. This can be a confusing area for inmates, where questions arise about the continuation of payments and the possibility of stopping them temporarily. This article explores the legal aspects and steps that can be taken in such a situation.

Continuation of (child) support during incarceration:

A common question is whether child support should continue to be paid when a parent is behind bars. The answer to this question is “yes.” Indeed, in the Netherlands, the obligation to pay child support remains even when a parent is in detention. The fact that someone is incarcerated does not automatically relieve that person of his or her child support obligation. This is in contrast to various benefits, which do stop automatically (temporarily) upon detention.

However, the ability to adjust, suspend or stop child support may depend on the specific circumstances. In some cases, the incarcerated parent may petition the court to modify child support based on changed financial circumstances, such as the loss of income while incarcerated.

Steps to modify (child) support during detention:

1. Inform the ex-partner:The first step is to inform the ex-partner of the changed circumstances. In some cases, it is possible to come to an arrangement with the ex-partner so that court proceedings can be avoided.

2. Consult a lawyer: It is advisable to seek legal advice from a lawyer specializing in family law. An attorney can tell you about the specific laws in their jurisdiction and guide you through the process of filing a child support modification request.

3. Evidence of financial situation: It is important to provide evidence of financial difficulties arising from detention, such as lack of income or limited financial resources. This may include medical reports, detention documents and other relevant evidence.

4. Negotiate with ex-partner: In some cases, an incarcerated parent may try to come to a temporary arrangement in consultation with the ex-partner. Open communication and understanding between both parents can have a positive impact on the process.

Call Now